12-10-2020, 04:31 PM   #4970
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
Exactly. I work in the industry and this is even worse than 2013-2015 was, which is the highwater mark for the industry. We are already more than a year backlogged and it is getting worse - not better. Vista Outdoor (owns Federal and now Remington Ammo) just announce the other day to their investors that they are 1 BILLION backordered on ammo alone.

Anyone who thinks this is going to be gone in a few months is smoking crack. This is here for 2021 at LEAST and I'd guess the next 2 years at least before things start settling down. Once the panic buying and gouging starts - it takes a long time for it to die down.

I have been in the industry for many decades and seen these starting clear back to the Winchester Black Talon days. And once Biden starts talking gun control - it will go into orbit even further.

This is not just new gun buyers. We saw a little spike earlier in the year, but JAN-FEB were mostly "normal". Once Minn went up in flames - our orders quadrupled that week. They have stayed strong ever since and started building again after the elections. Those were all SD calibers (9mm, 223, 556, 300BO, etc), but now it has spread to everything. Any semi-normal popular caliber is deeply backordered and will be for a long time to come.

We are getting to the point that primers are going to be the lynchpin. They are very expensive to make and everyone that makes them also makes ammo - so why sell your primers if you need them for you ammo? Same thing happened in 2013-2015 except it was powder as well.

It's going to be a long haul. But everyone is shipping records amounts of product - so find a decent price and put in a back order and they will get to you eventually. Handloaders have it a little easier, but not much.

Going to be a long few years - and that is not counting the gun control measures that you KNOW will be coming when Biden gets in - especially if he gets control of the Senate to boot.

Hang on tight.
Yup, this is exactly part of what I was referencing. I don't think it will be over shortly, definitely a few years ATLEAST

Thanks for the insight and confirming unluky
Appreciate 0