01-19-2021, 09:39 AM   #51
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
If it isn't about the label on the trunk, why does it matter so much which bucket it falls into?

BMW didn't invent the game. Mercedes and Audi also the play it well (and so do others - not so well), and in fact they beat BMW to the punch on this little trick.

Of all the things to be hung up on and righteous about, I just don't see why this matters in the grand scheme. It's not like it's changing the total since, as you point out, the M235i exists either way. It registers as a sale for BMW regardless of how you count it.
BMW created the "M" and with it sold us on why it is special and premium, above the rest of the lineup, most a unique engine, suspension, brakes, exterior design changes, with it came compromises for performance. Now they decided to cash out on it with the only reasons being increased sales. It doesn't matter to you and this is also ok. The "M" has become a worthless letter that has almost zero substance. Ferrari could decide to cash out and build a line of economy cars, same arguments could be made that it doesn't matter as long as the high end cars are still there. I feel the same about a $52k base Porsche Macan, good for their bottom line, makes me think less of their brand.

My issue is not where the sale is recorded but on brand dilution.

I never understand the argument that the others also did it so it is ok. I have never owned an AMG, at this point I don't think I even care about the "AMG" as it is likely just as worthless as the "M".
ASAP10161.00
Germanauto9702.50