View Single Post
      03-15-2017, 07:45 AM   #1151
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
Every hp that takes it closer to the Stelvio will be highly appreciated by this audience.
Not to mention the GLC63 pair coming in a year or less which will also get over 500hp in S form. There is also an RS Q5 coming soon (was rumored to bow in Geneva but didn't) but that'll probably (99%) get the 450hp 2.9L V6.

BMW is likely to come in somewhere in the middle. I don't think they are going for best in class power because they know they aren't going to be able to win that arms race as long as Mercedes has the M177 4.0L V8 in service. I suspect they are in the final generation of V8 engines in their "C family" of products (the new I6 will take over from there, I suspect), so once that ends and everyone is playing with the same calibre firepower, maybe BMW will have a go. At that point though, 500hp will be the price of entry anyway. Then, the new race will be to 200hp/L in the 3.0L six cylinder engine class. Maybe it takes hybridized engines (like that new Mercedes M256 I6, speak of the devil), or maybe McLaren can help (since they are quickly approaching 200hp/L themselves).
Appreciate 1
kozzi927.00