07-04-2021, 12:25 PM   #152
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyM56 View Post
Globalhomo is still a real sus word to use. Regardless, don't you think it's a bit of a stretch to compare prison labor to a factory in a local country? I highly doubt the cars coming from the Mexico plant are any different if they were built in Germany, South Carolina, etc.

People that are spending that much on a BMW (///M car most likely) care about having the best car for the money, at least that's what I'd be thinking, origin be damed. Like I want an F-150 Lightning, don't care where it's made since it's damn cool.
It depends on the company.

VW has been building in China and Mexico for a long time. And other places. I have owned and driven Bratislava and Mexico product, and both are very good.

MB on the other hand is a basket case. They are not a truly global company. They are a Stuttgart company with a few other factories, not particularly well done. Vance, Alabama puts out garbage most days. The new GLB built in Mexico is a wait-and-see story. Nissan engines built for MB are crummy. The GLA, a platform shared with Nissan, is chintzy.

BMW is more globalized than MB, in terms of their successful execution. I rank the Germans on the globalization scale from most to least: VAG, BMW and then MB a far distant third and last place.

The majors like Ford, Toyota and Honda are highly globalized and have been so for decades.
Appreciate 2
TimmyM56241.50
Sedan_Clan25113.50