2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
BMW M Boss Says Hybrid BMW M Cars Coming But No Plans for Hybrid M2, M3, M4

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW M Confirms Hybrid Models are in the Works but only for Larger M Cars
COMMENTS

MIDRAND, SOUTH AFRICA - BMW M boss Markus Flasch has confirmed to media at the BMW M Festival that BMW M will begin introducing plug-in hybrid M models in the future generations while reassuring fans that such adaptation of hybrid gasoline-electric powertrains will be limited to larger M models only.

Previously, we reported that future M-Cars were to use tech from BMW i.

Flasch recently spoke of the readiness of the technology, that hybrid power was 'on standby' and ready to use while also saying there are no firm plans for the implementation of such electrification, according to caradvice.com.au

“I can assure you we’re working on electrification,” says Flasch.

“I’ve driven petrol-electric vehicles from the M team. I’ve driven plug-in hybrids from the M team. It’s there. But I cannot disclose data. I cannot disclose a (production) start date. But we’re working on it. It’s on the shelf.”

In what seems like an effort to curtail discontent and concern from fans, Flasch also reassures detractors of the trend that “the models that will see electrification won’t be the pure, the core, the most distilled projects such as the M2, 3 and 4. If we do something that will bring weight it’s very likely to be to a heavier, larger car. The X5 M today is a heavy and large car.”

The BMW M boss also emphasized that simply being the forerunner of electrification adoption isn't the goal.

“It’s not about being the first with any particular technology. We have to be the best [but] we believe in the power of choice. I have very direct dialogue with customers… who are worried that we might dilute the power of those products today in order to be the first in new technology," he said.

“I’m not producing cars for demonstrators, for people who don’t buy them. I’m producing cars for our customers and [they have] a very, very clear opinion of what they want to see.

"They will only buy the successor model if it’s better than the predecessor model, so if a new technology doesn’t qualify itself as better than its predecessor then it’s not going to happen."

For skeptical fans, this may or may not ease the anxieties and fears over how and if electrification would change the character of BMW M vehicles.

But it does seem like Flasch is at least acknowledging that the BMW M fan-base expects a lot more than just simply incorporating hybrid technology with existing powertrains.

The combination of electric and gasoline power must be done in BMW M fashion.

“Our customers aren’t bragging about having the latest and the greatest but they know if they have an M badge on their car it’s the best car when it comes to performance. We need to keep up this promise.”

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Future electrification of BMW M cars has already been the subject of much discussion and speculation in recent years.
It seems that reality is now getting closer to realization as both industry trends and more stringent regulations become more geared towards favoring electrification.

In 2016, BMW executive Ian Robertson said that BMW was open towards electrified, hybrid M-cars.
In 2017, BMW M's then CEO Frank Van Meel spoke of pure electric M-cars as inevitable in the future, with hybrid powertrains being available during the transitional period.
Earlier this year in 2019, Flasch confirmed that future BMW M vehicles would use BMW i technology.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 5
Jason40299.50
Miko M6648.50
JustChris17423.00
clee1982796.00