View Single Post
      04-09-2022, 09:53 AM   #23
NoVaRob21
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M440Xi and X3 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by m340ninja View Post
So before front trim can come off, there are two black torx screws that actually go through the back of the wheel into the two separate steering wheel control panels. Disconnect the spring plate for the airbag completely away from the wiring harness. The harness itself just pay attention to how all of the cables are dressed and ran before removing.

The harness sits in this plastic flexible holder that fits in the mold inside the steering wheel. You’ll have to pull pretty hard around the bottom arch to get it loose. Once you get it out though I would directly put it into the new wheel. Also make note that the wiring at the top of the wheel sits behind the top cover. You’ll see what I mean when you take it all apart.

I think pulling everything off and then moving into the new wheel took around 45 mins.

When putting the airbag back, push it down with the weight distributed evenly making sure the top corners actually engage. If one side doesn’t engage, you have to pop the airbag completely off. I couldn’t get it to click in if the other side was locked already. Be absolutely sure that you get both sides locked at the same time.

P.S. When removing the airbag, the left side was way easier to get the angle and pop out the airbag compared to the right.
Awesome, thanks for the insight. I had wanted this wheel for a while and may finally pull the trigger over some other random cosmetic upgrades i was contemplating. Nothing like a good wheel to increase driving enjoyment.
Appreciate 0