07-12-2020, 03:20 PM   #8
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagasaurus-R3X View Post
I called BMW last week to ask about flashing and different piggy back systems. Without me eluding about the JB4 they stated they see maybe 1 or 2 of them a year and can detect if a car has had a piggy back on it through the number of key cycles. I am not really educated in this but would like to know 100% if it can be detected because I would like to install the JB4 but don't want to risk warranty.
yes 100% any engine mod can be detected if BMW wants to dig deep enough (piggyback or flash doesn't make a difference - question those that tell you otherwise) - that said are you likely to experience a catastrophic failure of a magnitude that would cause such a probe....not likely unless you move well beyond a simple AA/JB4/RaceChip (piggybacks) or flashes stage 1 or 2 (Mission Performance, BM3, MHD) etc . But given your question and your reference to 100% the answer is no - nothing is fool proof.

That said - keep in mind a piggyback or flash (either one detected) does not simply cancel your warranty - here in the US your mods only cancel the portion of your warranty that covers parts you may have compromised by making changes

Hope this helps a bit

Last edited by chenry; 07-13-2020 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 2