View Single Post
      10-15-2018, 11:59 AM   #19
EddyD
Rep
Drives: F30 335i + E39 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Tesla Model 3 is rubbish quality and substandard interior materials.

Will Tesla still be around in the next 5-10 years?

And remember, electric cars are still not a viable or practical option for the vast majority of the population.

When Tesla develops a battery and charge system that allows me to fully charge the car in 5 minutes or less, the time it takes me to fill up the 16 gallon fuel tank in my G30, then we will talk.

Until then, I'll happily wait for an electric BMW alternative or at least an option from an established automaker that understands fit/finish and interior material quality.
Heavenyu is right...BMW need to address the increasing performance gap by coming up with a legit high-perfromance BEV.

F30 335i rider here and Tesla Model 3 reservation holder.

It's true Tesla interior quality/ergonomics are not as good as BMW but at the end of the day, I would wager most drivers here would give the nod to performance over interior. My 335i (chipped and sport exhaust) was an awesome sleeper when I got it '13. Today, mid 4's and high 12's is nothing vs a Tesla.

In the word's of Chris Harris, I race "the traffic light grand prix" and for that, there is simply no better car than a Tesla. Today, I know I can't take any Tesla with a batter pack > 75kwh. That's not good. Mercedes C-class sales are down 25% since the Model 3 came out... Mercedes says it it NOT a coincidence. IS/A4/3er/C-class drivers are cross-shopping and voting with their wallets.

310 miles range is more than enough for my commute in Chi-town so that I'd only have to charge it once a week. I'd say for the vast majority of people that live in major metro, that is more than sufficient. Oh, and our new parking garage has 12 EV charging stalls and our leasing company says in the next year, every parking stall will have an outlet. Supercharger charge times are down to 80% full in 20 minutes, and if you don't think batteries/range/charging times are going to improve over the next few years, I have a great deal on an iPhone 3 to sell you....

When I saw this video, I knew the ICE is in the autumn of its life.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...selling-sedans
Appreciate 3
clee1982797.50
KoenG1428.50