View Single Post
      10-17-2019, 05:42 AM   #5
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G21 330d, 2008 E87 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumodoc View Post
Well I think I’m going to go for it. Will use some sound deadening material surrounding the speakers and on the plastic door card (wherever it seems liable to rattle). Will update when I do it. Likely not for a few weeks based on the time necessary and shipping, I would wager. If anyone has tips, please don’t hesitate!
Cool. Can't wait to hear your impressions. Do you plan to upgrade woofers, or just stage 1: mids+tweeters?

From the video, installation seems pretty straightforward. It boils down to removing door panels and plugging into existing wiring. It's an easy afternoon job.

I have some experience with sound deadening and insulation and I would advise to not waste too much time or effort into using sound deadening for G20 doors. The thing is - deadening is only needed for lower frequencies as they are the one that cause vibrations. G20, as most modern BMWs, has mid-range speakers in the door panels and woofers are in the floor below the front seats. Since mid-range speakers do not produce the type of high-energy low-frequency vibrations that would cause rattling of door panels or degrade the sound, it's not necessary to use much sound deadening on the door panels (if any).

So if you plan to use sound deadening for door panels, I would advise to use only a very small amount. Place it strategically only on the spots that "ding" most loudly when you knock on them with your knuckles. These are usually larger flat areas, and it's enough to put a small patch of sound deadening material to reduce the resonant frequency of the panel, which then minimizes or eliminates the vibrations and rattling. Smaller, curved surfaces do not vibrate as they are much sturdier and resistant to resonating vibrations. Another thing worth mentioning is that wrapping complete, larger surfaces with sound deadening material will not result in hearable improvements. It will only result in additional install-time, additional cost and the doors will become unnecessarily heavier.

Last edited by Calamari; 10-18-2019 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 0