View Single Post
      08-07-2019, 08:36 PM   #13
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
Wow! I hadn’t heard about that one, will have to look into that...

Kinda already regretting it and it hasn’t even been officially sold yet... excited for something different after having three or them over the years.
Yeah, I hadn't heard about it either, but someone brought it up in Jalopnik comments the other day, and I started reading about it. Here's a quote from the guy about a particular R8 that brought it to my attention:

"As I mentioned, not an R8 expert here. But I did some homework while I was shopping. One of the key features of the R8 is that it’s an all aluminum welded and bonded spaceframe. (So already, you’re into “1 inch crack, totaled and unrepairable.”)

Weeeeeeeeeell if you look at the geometry there, what you find is that you have about 1/3-1/4 the metal handling your vertical transients on-axis as you do handling them perpendicular. Which means a lot more load on that perpendicular section. Which is then increased even further by the forming of the firewall section there with all those sharp angles to make cutouts. Plus right below where the crack usually starts, the metal’s been drilled for riveting. Add to that it’s butt-welded with no gusseting and yeah.

And Audi’s stance is that even though there are body shops capable of repairing this safely and properly, most cars are deemed unrepairable under any circumstances. Audi won’t sell the parts required to anyone except an Audi dealer. There is no published procedure for repair, only preemptive installation of reinforcing plates (which can only be done with Audi approval.) Those cars deemed repairable are often looking at a $30,000 repair. They also insist it’s not a defect, despite many owners obtaining engineers reports stating ‘no accident, structural failure due to metal fatigue.’

Only some 2010's got the factory reinforcement plates. Add to that all the other known problems (frequent magnetic shock failures at $10k a shot, timing chain guide replacement which is engine out, A/C compressor failure at 38 hours of labor, carbon coking,) high miles, and a posting with no photos of areas of concern or service history? Run away!"
Appreciate 0