02-27-2020, 01:36 PM   #196
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
Here in Toronto, at least one dealer still has brand "new" 2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio in inventory available for sale. They're being deeply discounted and still unable to get rid of them after 2 years.

Even if BMW makes the entire front end of the G80 into one gigantic grille, I don't see Giulia taking any wind out of G80 sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Yeah not so much sales impact since it will be pricey, more prestige. When you launch a new M3 you want to be the fastest in the segment and even if I suspect that the new M3 will be ferociously fast I can’t see it able to top a component upgraded and lightened 620hp Giulia. Alfa is currently immaterial to BMW.

Though the power delivery has to become nasty with blowers big enough to get 620hp out of that sub 3l V6. But with Ferrari in the supply chain who knows...
Understand your point and the 620hp will certainly raise some eyebrows but hp isn't the reason for it's problems. Their biggest issues are rooted in (1) poor reliability, (2) poor reliability, (3) poor reliability reputaton and (4) poor dealer network in North America. Their Ferrari lineage has already been highlighted in Alfa's marketing before but it hasn't helped and 620hp isn't going to change that until they fix their root issues.

Alfa has already scrapped plans for future models 8C and GTV and discontinued the 4C, so if anything, they're actually pulling back. The Quadrifoglio MSRP is already priced higher than the F80. I don't see how increasing price to be commiserate with 620hp is going to help take wind out of the G80 sail no matter the size of the grille. Alfa is currently immaterial to BMW.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24980.50