View Single Post
      10-28-2022, 04:44 PM   #89
MarkOK
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M440i Convert.

Now that I closed on my M440i XDrive Convertible, here was what I got:

Ordered early April 2022. Required $1000 deposit, no build date, and agreed to $3500 above MSRP.

Closed October 26th. I put another $5,000 down but financed the rest with BMW Financial Services at 4.59% at 60 months. Final price was MSRP+$3500 markup+$600 in document processing fees. I know when I register it at the DMV, I will have to pay the $3500 in excise taxes and $100 in registration

The way the markup was handled felt slick and was uncomfortable. Back in April, after deciding on the build, they had a few papers. One had the MSRP and all the details of the build and signing it was agreeing to what I wanted ordered, the other had a 'sale price' and a basic make/model info. They handed that over and said "and sign this one". I noticed the price was 'too much', and asked what signing this is agreeing, and they said just that I want that Make/model, but then I said, "Am I also agreeing to this price though" and they said "yes". So, then they came clean that they were including a 5,000 charge over MSRP since "new car inventory is so tight and we are in an inflationary environment" (which is true, I only could find 1 of these models in a five state region over a few month period to even test drive, but the dealer mostly sells X models that were decently well-stocked and the $ is also strong against the Euro which has actually had euro-imports deflationary in terms of the $). Anyways, I told them the 5,000 is ridiculous and I will be happy to go a few hours down the road to another dealer. The sales person was quite annoyed at the challenge, but the best I could get the manager to accept was 3500 over MSRP.

I am still annoyed about the markup, still think I should have just made a trip to Dallas to order one without a markup, especially since I didn't even get an allocation until July and that was after we started becoming rude. Online reviews suggests that they are hard on their markup with everyone and they are one of only two dealers in the entire state. I am quite confident they skipped over us on the allocations they got for at least one month so that the dealer could secure cars for their lot (they have a few 4 series cars built a full month and a half before mine was built, definitely would have been allocated between my order date where they promised I was first in line, and after I was actually allocated. Unless 4 series convertibles are allocated separate of other 4 series models? ). And my sales person was always difficult to reach and get responses, always providing hand-wavy responses of why they haven't gotten an allocation for us yet.

But, they didn't try anything funny at the end with any other dealer add-ons (well, except the doc fee, but that I knew was coming since April), interest rate adjustments, etc, and I was able to fly through the closing paperwork without any hard-sells. The MSRP isn't great, but the credit unions in town were at 5%, and online I couldn't find anything under 4.75%.

It was a frustrating process overall, but we really did want a car that is hard to come by around here in a color (aventurin red), trim (plain aluminum), interior (cognac leather), and options (no shadowline, otherwise pretty loaded with options) that no dealer seems to build for their own inventory. And now we have it, and it's awesome.
Appreciate 1