Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRoyal79 View Post
It's clear that I'm in the minority here. Most people here love that the BMW engine is in the Toyota Supra. Based on some of the comments, some would be thrilled if the B58B30O1 was in every Honda Civic and Kia Forte.

I concede defeat. I blame my Father, lol. He grew up during the American muscle car era and putting a ford engine in a Chevy Camaro was equivalent to blasphemy. Times have definitely changed. I appreciate your opinions.
There are two different points here I think. It originally sounded like you were disappointed they put the M40i engine the Z4, not that it had a B58 in it at all. That's where most of us disagree with you. If it's going to have the B58, what's the matter if it has the newer high power one vs the one in the normal 40i cars?

If your point is that it's disappointing that Toyota didn't make a new JZ, you might have more that agree with you. Of course it'd be great if there were more competition. Or at least if Toyota co-developed an inline six with Mazda or something. Toyota did zero work on this motor, and I think you'd have a lot more people on your side if it was just a matter of wishing for more competition.

You made it sound like you didn't think Toyota "deserved" the more powerful engine and that it was better than BMW relegated the Supra to the weaker one.

Quote:
As a BMW owner and enthusiast, I'm disappointed that they're putting the high output B38B30O1 into the 2021 Supra. I thought using the lower output B38B30M1 engine (which was in the 2020 Supra) was the proper thing to do.

With the same engine as the M340i, Toyota lists the Supra 0-60 time at 3.9s which is obviously faster than the M340i.
Appreciate 2
37b86.00
Poochie9104.50