11-06-2020, 10:43 AM   #26
danahmedG20
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Midlo_Man View Post
So let's start this by saying - My M340i has been AMAZING to own thus far. It's gorgeous. It's beyond-my-expectations powerful. The speed and power has easily been underrated by my estimations. For me, it's the perfect blend of automotive prowess, driving dynamics, and modern technology & features.

But here comes my first mechanical gremlin... I noticed multiple drops of oil (equating to ~2 tablespoons of somewhat blackened oil in my garage. No smell to it, doesn't smell burned. But being that I only park this car in one specific orientation in my garage, I know the oil is coming from the rear axle area of the car along the centerline, and the most-likely candidate would be my rear-diff seal(s).

Car is only 7 months into ownership, with ~6,000 miles on it.

Cleaned up the drips, I've kept checking after parking multiple times and I have not been able to confirm whether any new drops have formed.

I'll be notifying BMW and taking it in for service, but I'm a bit uncertain as to whether or not they'll end up flashing the ECU (as per the open emissions recall) during my service visit, and I am still running the pre-July ECU (that, from what I gather has left me with a lot of unexpected power).
  • Is anyone else seeing rear-diff leaks on the new M340i?
  • Anyone have any other thoughts as to what it could be if not a rear-diff seal leak?
  • Has anyone been forced to have the ECU flashed per the recall while having other service work performed? If so, how has it affected your driving experience?
Same thing happened to be after I was pushing the car pretty hard around 10k miles.

A couple of drops but nothing too serious. I took it to BMW and they cleaned it up and informed me that it was overfilled from the factory.

Haven't had the issue come back up and I'm at 17k miles nows
Appreciate 0