View Single Post
      06-02-2017, 07:34 PM   #58
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjuhawks19 View Post
I don't see what the downside is. For those that like or need the AWD it's there. For traditionalists you never have to turn it on if you don't want to. For everyone else you can pick what you want at any given moment. Yeah it'll add some weight but they'll figure a way out to mitigate the weight gain in other areas. Seems like a win-win to me.
It's rarely that simple in terms of keeping the preferred weight distribution and agility a RWD car provides when adding an AWD system. GTR, 911 for example pull of AWD flawlessly but most AWD cars are a detriment to performance.

What I would really love is a dynamic AWD system that turns itself on and off only when the rear tires slip. If the rear tires are not slipping I do not want the front tires powered at all (even if it's just 10% or very little), just like the GTR and 911 do.

It's cool that BMW offers manual control to turn the AWD system off but I prefer an automated system when its a RWD car 99% of the time, unless the rears lose traction.

I guess long winded way of saying I think BMW is dropping the ball with their implementation if I am understanding the system correctly.

Last edited by neilum; 06-02-2017 at 07:51 PM..
Appreciate 0