View Single Post
      04-13-2019, 07:20 PM   #28
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Its disappointing because while you may like the steering on your F30, everyone has different opinions and values steering differently. To me, I value, heavy, crisp, and communicative steering similar to that of the E90 and many older hydraulic BMW steering racks, and the F30 and even the G20 I auto crossed, in my opinion don't have that signature BMW feature.

Its not just the steering though, my wife and I have tested F30’s on various tires and various model years anywhere and even the new G20s fully loaded, and we liked many things about these cars, but dynamically, they didn't excite us or feel like our E90 and past BMWs, and the steering was still too light and devoid of feel even in its sportiest setting. Because of this we skipped the F30 in favor of hoping that the G20 (specifically M340i) will return to form. The G20 is an improvement from the F30, but I'm still not sure its the improvement I was hoping/looking for. For some I'm sure the car is great and exceeds their expectations, but everyone has different preferences.

We're no longer in the 90's and early 2000's where BMW was the only good vehicle in its class. Over the years many cars have made the gap smaller, with other vehicles improving their handling, and some even beating the 3 dynamically (Giulia, ATS), EPS was just one of the major killers of this generation of driver's cars.
Ok, I take issue with some of what you say.. it's almost contradictory..

Obviously this is a different BMW than the 90s-2000s BMW. I refuse to believe an established company such as BMW fail to produce an EPS controlled steering that would compete directly with competitors.

///M cars have lost the connected feeling... What's left?

They (BMW) have chosen to go in a different direction and grab a different market share... On one hand you say "everyone values steering differently", but yet rail against BMW for not having the "feel" you hoped for.... In other words, perhaps it's not a matter of "who's better", but a matter of who the "market is catering too". No different than Goldilocks trying to find the right bed.

Maybe BMW is no longer your cup of tea, and that's fine... be grateful we have choices.

Previous: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5 (ED)
Appreciate 0