View Single Post
      05-30-2019, 01:43 PM   #1
mfindigital
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Thinking about getting a motorcycle to commute on

Hi everyone,

So I have a brutal commute (17 miles takes 85 minutes to get home) and it's the only thing that ever has me considering a new job (love it here). The only solution I've come up with is to start making this a 2 wheel drive instead of 4 wheels, I figure, even on the streets, I'd save 40 minutes on my drive home, probably 15 in the morning.

I'm not a youngster looking to smash the pedal and do wheelies, I'm a 36 year old father of a toddler happily married that doesn't want to die

I know motorcycles are inherently more dangerous, but I'm a responsible driver. I have very limited scooter/motorcycle experience and am looking into a class.

Since I have very little experience and no real interest in going super fast, I'm looking at small displacement bikes (and scooters too).

The bikes I'm looking at are the KTM Duke 390 (seems to be the favorite of this group by a mile), BMW G 310 R, and the Honda CB500F. All are about 4-5k in newish (or very new in the ktm and bmw) condition.

Does anyone have experience with any of these bikes? Can they be comfortable enough for a 40 minute ride? I'm leaning towards the bmw, because, well, bmw. But I don't want to regret the decision immediately.

This isn't about fun, it's about saving 5 hours a week of my life. Any info greatly appreciated!
bucketfoot1063.50