View Single Post
      05-30-2019, 03:53 PM   #14
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

I used to ride every day in the Bay Area. My commute was Highway 17 (somewhat infamous road). I was never in an accident and never laid down a bike, and I used to ride hard. I did have a couple close calls.

The SV650 is a great choice. I was always a Ducati guy, so I like the V-twin. Especially for a newer rider the power is much more progressive and controllable, in my opinion.

The things that I feel kept me with the rubber side down are the following:

1. Use medium speeds in traffic are where people are blindly changing lanes and will not see you. You are pretty safe when traffic is stopped and pretty safe when traffic the at the speed limit.

2. Do not ride in the middle of your lane. That where oil and dirt is, and you will be out of view of people mirrors.

3. You can look in peoples mirrors and make eye contact, or at least see if they are paying attention.

4. Don't cruise in somebody's blind spot. Either hang back enough to be in their side mirror, or get in front of them.

I think it is more dangerous now then it was when I was riding simply because of the smart phone and people being generally checked out.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00