06-02-2019, 07:11 AM   #56
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy1616 View Post
I gave up riding my Ducati since people are waaaaaaayyyyyyy too distracted these days. There isn’t a day nowadays that an oncoming car doesn’t cross the center line as the driver is texting. I loved riding but couldn’t wait to get rid of it. My wife and son appreciate it.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy1616 View Post
Yeah, think you have that wrong. I’m a very accomplished rider. Squid means: Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Ignorant and Dangerous, certainly not me.
But to your comment, I've been riding street for 36 years in the Washington DC and Mid-Atlantic region, and riding dirt bikes since I was 13. While drivers have the potential to be more distracted these days with cell phones, I really don't see why that changes how a motorcyclist approaches riding in traffic. The object of the game is to place your position based on a constant scan and profiling of the traffic around you. Profile each car by determining if the driver has the mirrors positioned properly, age, race, and gender of the driver, time of day, the condition of the car, and observing how the driver reacts to traffic surrounding him. The more you ride the better and quicker you get at profiling the traffic around you. You get to the point where it is a subconscious activity. Adding a cell phone in the mix just adds to the profile status IMO.

I don't get to ride as much as I did in my 20's through 40's because my lifestyle is different now. But early on in my street riding days I commuted to college almost everyday, year round, on my Yamaha 650 Seca on the DC beltway. I live in a rural area now, and what I mostly worry about are bears, cows, and deer. I'll take a human on a cell phone driving a cage any day of the week over deer. I split two young deer not three miles from my house back about 20 months ago now; just missed the ass of the first one, and the second one stopped just enough where her head glanced off my right fork (and bent the horn on the crashbar). And I was on a section of road in my 'hood where I've had countless run-ins with deer (and two contacts in cars - one in my E90 with the only damage was a broken angel eye ring), so I was fully watching and prepared for an encounter. Here's the evidence; note the little left jiggle of the skidmark at the end. No car has ever given me a pucker factor like this
Attached Images

A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 06-02-2019 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0