View Single Post
      06-02-2019, 07:09 PM   #66
Housekeeping
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
But to your comment, I've been riding street for 36 years in the Washington DC and Mid-Atlantic region, and riding dirt bikes since I was 13. While drivers have the potential to be more distracted these days with cell phones, I really don't see why that changes how a motorcyclist approaches riding in traffic. The object of the game is to place your position based on a constant scan and profiling of the traffic around you. Profile each car by determining if the driver has the mirrors positioned properly, age, race, and gender of the driver, time of day, the condition of the car, and observing how the driver reacts to traffic surrounding him. The more you ride the better and quicker you get at profiling the traffic around you. You get to the point where it is a subconscious activity. Adding a cell phone in the mix just adds to the profile status IMO.

I don't get to ride as much as I did in my 20's through 40's because my lifestyle is different now. But early on in my street riding days I commuted to college almost everyday, year round, on my Yamaha 650 Seca on the DC beltway. I live in a rural area now, and what I mostly worry about are bears, cows, and deer. I'll take a human on a cell phone driving a cage any day of the week over deer. I split two young deer not three miles from my house back about 20 months ago now; just missed the ass of the first one, and the second one stopped just enough where her head glanced off my right fork (and bent the horn on the crashbar). And I was on a section of road in my 'hood where I've had countless run-ins with deer (and two contacts in cars - one in my E90 with the only damage was a broken angel eye ring), so I was fully watching and prepared for an encounter. Here's the evidence; note the little left jiggle of the skidmark at the end. No car has ever given me a pucker factor like this
Their race huh? Interesting.....
Appreciate 0