12-30-2019, 10:23 AM   #236
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFar View Post
As a New Englander and someone that has owned a convertible since the 90s, I really love the year round viability that the hard top provides. It's perfect for cold winters and IMO is better at keeping the cabin quiet in heavy rain. I didn't buy an M car and have no delusions about my 440 being a race car so for me I will always prefer the hard top over the weight savings. As much as I dislike the direction BMW is taking with their grills I am far more upset about the loss of the hard top.
Conversely, it actually makes me consider one again. Living in the sun belt, a device that will eat 85% of my trunk space the 75-85% of year that it's down just doesn't appeal to me. I've had numerous convertibles and leave the top down the great majority of the year.

Style is obviously subjective, but my eyes have yet to see a four seat folding hardtop that doesn't look awkward. Soft tops just look better on four seaters. Hardtops look great on mid engine cars where the roof assembly is tiny, but look odd over larger spaces. To my eyes, of course.

Another personal advantage is that I have a dog who likes to put her head out of the window and a kid, so I need a back seat and rear windows that open. Coupes no longer have opening rear windows, but most convertibles still do.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50