View Single Post
      03-04-2018, 03:20 PM   #1156
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
That's too bad. Was at empty gym besides me and buddy and really old dude. Looks over and old dude is hanging by his shirt from piece of equipment. I thought heart attack right away. I book over grab his feet and yank him down from there. Was ready to try and save him. He hit the ground woke up and started fighting me to get up. Turns out he fainted or blacked out. Was glad wasn't dead. Refused medical attention and left.

Buddy was bit frazzled cuz had a contractor and neighbor both die on him in the last year of heart attack where be was only one there doing cpr. He was like oh shit not this again.
Your buddy shouldn't feel bad. Doing CPR even when you witness the cardiac arrest has pretty low odds of reviving the person. Don't believe all the TV/movie crap. If I remember correctly, the stats for someone surviving is about 40% if advanced medical care is right there to respond. It drops from there.

The pervasiveness of AEDs in public places have helped to increase a person's odds of surviving a cardiac arrest. If your gym doesn't have one, you should petition them to put one in.

It's also pretty common for someone to be combative when they wake up from a fainting episode or have suffered from a head injury.
Appreciate 0