View Single Post
      05-11-2020, 04:12 PM   #32
StevenX94
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonaNonGrata View Post
This. There is so much more to which one someone prefers over the other. If it's a money thing or a pure practicality thing, the 330i would be the obvious choice, that is if you keep the 330i less optioned. I have built a 330i online to where it is equipped as close to a standard M340i and it is still cheaper but you can't get the M Sport rear differential and there is a huge horsepower difference. I look at what you "save" with the 330i and there is no way to make up for those performance differences with the "savings". You can't buy two more cylinders! If you don't care about either, then back to the 330i. I just find it funny when online comparisons bitch about the disparity in base prices.

For me, I never even considered a 330i. I most recently came from an F10 535i and while heavier than a 3er, I'm used to the straight six, and having driven the 330i and G30 530i, did not like them at all. They were lacking and for me, my BMWs have to have a straight six, but an M550ix wouldn't be too bad.

I know that every single time I start my car, pull away from a traffic light, make a pass, turn a corner hard, or merge onto a busy freeway my M340i makes me happy and for me, that's enough of a reason to have gotten it.
The M Sport diff could be added as an option from what I know in Europe, but I agree on the most part of what you said, I think even if you tick every performance related option on the 330i, there would still be a difference in the smoothness and the comfortness of the engine while delivering power.
I guess the the closest level you can get the two cars is maybe by putting a tuned 330i with a stock m340i, maybe then they would feel about the same?
Appreciate 0