SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
Just received some feed back from the dreaded dealer.
They have asked to have my car for two days to sort out the sunroof problem……….yes…….two furken days!!!
Seems a bit OTT to me but I have been told that they will remove the FZD and the two motors to do “extensive electrical checks”. In order to remove the motors, they have to drop the headliner.
Obviously, I’m not very happy about this and have insisted the headliner is re-installed in a “factory-perfect” manner.

The dealer has offered a loan car for two days.
I asked for an M3 or M4 or i4. Surprisingly, they do not have any for loan!
I’ll probably end up with a bloody X1, or something similar equally powerful, that would not pull you out of bed in the morning!!
The continuing saga of the sunroof...apologies for the length of the post...

The dealership wanted my car for two days and essentially did a long and protracted electrical test (more than 12 hrs) of the car's systems which spanned a few weeks of the car's life.
An added part of this story is that my car is often left in a garage for two or so weeks at a time...parked and locked.
The results of the prolonged electrical test pointed to my battery discharging itself to very low levels due to various unexplained "wake up" calls of the electrical system.
I was told that the extremely low battery levels, caused the sunroof to loose its "set points" and therefore caused the sunroof to have a hissy fit and remain either open or closed.

To cut a long story short, they told me that they thought that the BlackVue dash cam had caused this problem as it is the only thing on the car that is non-BMW. I'm not sure I believe this, as the power for the Neo dashcam battery comes from the 12v supply which is non-operative when the car ignition is turned off.
In truth, a CTEK battery monitor was also fitted across the battery terminals, but the Dealer did not seem to notice this. I secretly suspect this "might" have contributed to the problem.

Each time the sunroof failed seemed to be around the time the car's software was updated and various items were coded with BimmerCode. I suspect this is the real reason for the very low charge level of the battery, even though I made sure my battery had been charged overnight for the BMW software upgrade and charged overnight again for the coding. I now fear that my battery may be a little degraded.

The bottom line for me is that I have bitten the bullet and removed the CTEK Battery Monitor and also the BlackVue dashcams (I had planned to install dashcams in the Golf after almost having the front end of the car ripped off by a 4WD turning directly across my path a few weeks ago).

Thus, I have arranged to have the BMW ACE 2.0 dashcams installed in the car tomorrow. I would have liked to wait for ACE 3.0, but they seem to be a long way from Australia at the moment as they have only just been released in Europe and USA. In fact, both dealerships here had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned ACE 3.0!
The ACE 2.0 dashcams are large and ugly but I feel naked and vulnerable without dashcams.
I DO have Drive Recorder installed, but feel much more comfortable having dashcams as well.

As an addendum, if you plan to update the software in your car, I suggest a full battery charge is required. Furthermore, if you plan to re-code your car with BimmerCode, do so only with a full battery charge, or do it incrementally over several trips/days.