View Single Post
      03-03-2023, 05:51 PM   #78
AD75
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i (soon), Nissan 370Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra055 View Post
Hey, nice build! That's exactly the spec i've ordered.
Your range is pretty much spot on based on my experience. I had to push pretty hard to get to that, but it's definitely doable. Plus, I believe on road costs in SA are lower than those here in Vic.

I haven't driven an S5 for a few years, but I did have the opportunity to drive an RS5 hard at Phillip Island a few months ago and they're a great car. IMO, the Audi's (again comparing RS3/5/6 which i've had solid seat time in and S3 which I own) handling is firmer and sportier than the M340i. My main observation driving the M340i pretty hard on some fast back roads is that the rebound feels like it needs to be dialled in a bit more as on multiple occassions I found it bouncing mid corner which didn't feel great, but it's a nicer ride day to day. I plan on installing some Dinan springs as a few people have mentioned this has improved the ride.

My only thoughts on the S5 though are that it's getting a little long in the tooth and the interior feels dated IMO. But if that doesn't bother you, they're a very capable car (coming from someone who has two other S cars).
Thanks.

Yeah, I don't mind what I've seen of the S5 interior. The thing I don't love about the M340i is the user interface is leaning a little too hard into the futuristic high tech theme with the giant screen and lack of physical controls and little shift switch etc. So I think I may actually prefer the S5 interior. S5 also has the edge in practically with the hatchback and huge boot.

But it's also a fair bit more expensive and will have its work cut out trying to match the drive of the M340i. I really liked the automatic transmission in the BMW, in particular. This is coming from someone who has been driving for 30 years and owned only manual cars in that time. I've driven a few autos I could tolerate, but this is the first I've ever actually enjoyed. From what I've read, the version in the Audi is not quite as sharp and responsive as the BMW, but I'll wait until I drive it before passing judgement.
Appreciate 0