09-17-2018, 11:57 AM   #142
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie45 View Post
I would be so grateful for 5. Really think it will be 3 though. Honestly don't know how the team imploded so badly considering it's a good mix of 4 and 5 stars out there. This situation is not "growing pains". We are technically rebuilding but the overall recruits have been quite good the past few years so the talent is there it's just not being utilized. Surely the culture has changed once Taggart got in but I really thought it was going to be for the better. Bringing the team closer, holding people accountable, up tempo, high scoring offense, etc but it's been a total abomination. I just don't get how awful our O-line is. The guys don't even care to block for QB in the slightest bit. Zero effort, zero technique and zero will. Think St. Thomas Aquinas can beat FSU at this point. My poor Noles
Yes, it is a little bit of a head scratcher, especially the O-Line. However, 4- and 5-stars don't matter once they get to school if they don't develop and perform. Miami has had numerous highly regarded recruits fizzle into nothing over the years. Chris Walsh, Kyle Wright, Jack Allison, Lance Leggett, Sam Bruce and Aldaruius Johnson, to name a few just at QB and WR. Meanwhile, Ed Reed was a 2-or 3-star...

No doubt getting and developing a bunch of these highly rated guys helps sustain success on average, but get a batch where a number flop, get injured, get in trouble, etc., combined with early departures of the best players to the NFL, and it can really set things back. The ability to consistently identify, recruit and develop talented players with the drive to succeed is what really sets apart the successful programs. Its hard to do that for sustained periods of time - and FSU has had a great run up until recently.