View Single Post
      06-18-2019, 08:23 AM   #25
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Baby M and M-Lite implies it's a dumbed down M car the same way the original M2 was. Many people had a hard time considering the original M2 a real M car because of the engine and interior. Now people are arguing a beefed up 330i is an M car variation? Because it's might share 3 or 4 parts with the real G80 M3?
I am not sure I understood what point you were try to make here, but I rarely find it productive to pedantically debate the precise meaning of slang language such as "Baby M" and "M-Lite". It was clear from context to me what the OP meant with his use of those terms, and I didn't see a need to press him further on it.

BMW has a clear hierarchy for each vehicle, and the M2 obviously sits above the M240i in the exact same way that the M3 sits above the M340i. Exact content varies from product line to product line - you either find enough value in the upgrades to spring for the proper M model, or you don't and you choose the M Performance model or something else instead.

I didn't see any evidence of someone "arguing a beefed up 330i is an M car variation" so that part seems off base. That said, the M Sport package clearly leverages the "M" brand (and has been for decades), and cars with such a package obviously have their place in the hierarchy as well, sitting just below the M Performance vehicles.
Appreciate 1