View Single Post
      06-18-2019, 08:30 AM   #26
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post

You and others here have forgotten the meaning of M// thanks to BMW. Motorsport, as in racing. So M cars are, or should be at least, built for racing first and daily driving second. As opposed to base 3 series, yes including the M340i, which are all built for daily driving first and racing second (M340i only).

That's where, I think, you are wrong. M cars in stock form do not survive racing or constant track duty - everything will fail - brakes first, suspension second, gearbox third and eventually engine. They are built for daily driving first and track second.

I have had many M cars throughout the years and spend a lot of time on the track with those cars. Out of 20 years of experience - here are my thoughts –
M cars make great dual purpose cars (fun on the street and usable on the track) - but having said that - they do not quite excel in either. They definitely have compromises on the street (Uncomfortable, finicky, demanding to everyday use and maintenance) and at the end of the day are not perfect track weapons (too heavy, too luxurious, too complex and filled with compromises).
I'd even go as far as to say - M cars - are great dual purpose/track cars for people learning to drive. Beginner and intermediate groups on track do great with those cars.
When you start moving up to advanced groups and instructor - you see less and less of unmodified M cars. First - small modifications start - Brakes, Fluid, and Pads. The harder you drive the more you feel the weight - so the weight starts to come off - remove interior pieces, lighter seats. Improve Safety – next - harnesses, roll cages, fire extinguishers, plastic glass, no airbags.
Full Suspension upgrades come next - coil overs and camber plates. Next thing you know - the car is not street-able any more or it takes forever to convert it back.
So inevitably you end up with a truck towing a track prepared BMW or better - Mazda Miata - it is not an M car anymore - it is a dedicated track shell of a car
Appreciate 8