View Single Post
      06-18-2019, 06:17 PM   #34
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
The new M340i matches the performance of the late V8 E90 M3 and definitely faster than M3s that preceded it.

However the question open to debate is the G20 M340i as engaging and "visceral" as the normally aspirated E90 M3? Remember the current F80 M3 was the first ever turbocharged M3 (Or was that the E30 M3?). The F80 signaled the transition away from the old school M3 mantra... Turbos, electric power steering, routed engine sounds, etc.
From my two M340i test drives and years with an E9x, no certainly the visceral experience is not the same. The M340i manages to have about the same performance but makes it easier to achieve, especially in xDrive form. The DCT in the m3, while quirky and jerky (sometimes) is still magic when you downshift that V8. The 8AT is zero drama with slightly slower downshifts. The M340i has a tighter front end for turn in but the rear end reigns supreme on the E9x, especially with NA throttle control. The new car is just simpler to drive and more comfortable while the E9x M3 is a sometimes overly responsive animal. Take your pick because they both can drive you to work with the same relative speed and handling.
Appreciate 2