12-18-2019, 08:41 AM   #4
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deveau View Post
25 GB of data per hour? They better have large storage packages. haha
They generate 25GB of data. That doesnt mean it stores all that data for forever.
That number is taken -if I understand correctly- from the bandwith of the interconnecting bus topology between the multiple computers, or, what data the sensors generate. So how much times per second the speedo updates or the abs wheel sensors are being read, the crankshaft sensor is being read etc etc etc.

But that sensor data is being kept is no secret and has been going on for at least a decade. For porsches it's common knowledge that the amount of redline the engine has seen is stored (and probably a lot more parameters, to see how the car has been treated in case of warranty or tuning), but for BMW this has also been going on for ages.
At BMW they call this FASTA data, and every time your car goes into a dealership and gets hooked onto a computer, that data is uploaded to bmw.
At least if they use ISTA software or newer (which all dealerships do).
You can see this on the screen that FASTA data is transferred.

This is a screenshot of FASTA data from the manufacturer POV (so you can't see this from the ISTA computer itself, but BMW can see this), and this is from a 2008 car, so not particularly new.... (E9x m3):
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0