View Single Post
      12-01-2019, 11:35 AM   #223
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestion View Post
The DCT was actually pretty inconsistent in terms of smoothness and response time... sometimes it was super fast and smooth, but then the next moment it would be slow or jerky...
From which I can guess that you're talking about the low end of the rev range?

I agree totally that the M-DCT is not very happy rev-matching downshifts at the low end of the rev range in from 3rd to 2nd or 2nd to 1st. The true worst case behavior is when you are basically letting the car downshift on its own to avoid stalling (so never do this). This is a transmission that just doesn't enjoy driving to the shops.

Since you drive a 6MT yourself, I'm assuming that you actually drove the DCT using the paddle shifts and not in 'full auto'. I'm also assuming that you got the chance to drive the car like it was meant to be used (i.e. upshifting above 6000rpm and downshifting early under braking to keep the engine in the power band). In these situations, especially when in 'S3' mode, the shifting responsiveness is superlative in my experience (and sounds amazing to boot). No ZF8 car I've driven has ever come close to that feeling. I'll accept a bit of clunkiness around town (from both the transmission & diff) for the joy I get on the twisty coast roads of Hwy 1 and at ThunderHill and Laguna Seca.

Last edited by pbar; 12-01-2019 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0