View Single Post
      05-13-2019, 09:24 PM   #19
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

I think suspension choice will be determined by the environment the car is driven in. The sport suspension and RFT tires on my 2007 335i made the car for all practical purposes undrivable on New York City's pot hole infested roads. I was constantly bending rims and damaging tires. My 750Lix and my 2015 and 2018 M4s had adaptive suspensions as does my Jaguar Convertible and my Porsche Cayenne GTS. The adjustable suspension gives me a great balance between the horrible road of NYC and the relatively smooth roads near my home in Lime Rock CT.

The job of a suspension is to keep the tires in contact with the road surface and an overly stiff suspension will bounce the tires around and cause the contact patches (they are called contact patches for a reason) to lose contact with the surface of the road. An overly stiff suspension may be fine on a race track but even a notoriously bumpy track like Sebring is a lot smoother than many public roads.

I generally keep my suspension set in comfort mode. I see no reason for an overly stiff suspension in a daily driver.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 1