11-10-2019, 08:25 PM   #221
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Ice View Post
I think its funny that every publication basically says the BMW is better but that it is more expensive.

Sure MSRP to MSRP it is more expensive - but hopefully nobody pays MSRP. I realize its probably hard for magazines to figure out the "street price" of a car especially since there isn't always a "norm" on pricing - but for anyone reading these articles they need to do a little research.

The M340i can easily be had for 10% off MSRP, some people have even gotten more - and BMW has been offering additional incentives on top of that for leases. When you consider that the residual is almost 10% higher, your monthly payment is about the same between a $50K G70 and a $60K M340i.

Time will tell how depreciation treats these cars for people buying - but if the BMW actually depreciates less you might be better off buying the M340i too since it will be worth more when you sell it. Hard to tell on this though and BMWs usually depreciate a lot over time - but I don't think Genesis depreciation would be like a Lexus!

But you're better off leasing the M340i over the G70 from a money perspective.
Genesis inherits all the characteristics from parent company hyundai; they're disposable cars, worth nothing after 3 years and thus appealing to second-hand buyers. BMW will have better depreciation, but having owned three in the past outside of warranty, I don't want to deal with the high upkeep costs ever again.

I think German cars are best to be leased due to the high upkeep required once initial warranty runs out and this is where Lexus wins, great resale value and low upkeep costs makes them perfect for financing and keeping longterm.