View Single Post
      08-08-2020, 02:45 PM   #805
AtticusHoy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

I'm still very confused by all the people showing up at dealerships expecting to get the latest version of software "just 'cause".

Dealerships have a business model predicated upon decades and decades of identifying defective items on a car and offering solutions for a profit. They are not, generally speaking, in touch with modern SaaS business plans or platforms.

As a result, all encounters with a dealership should probably be viewed through that lense. They aren't intrinsically interested in giving you new features for your car or offering you a better product than the one you paid for. They are solely interested in generating billable hours to charge BMW (or you) based on what they have been doing for decades— finding problems with your vehicle. Ultimately, BMW doesn't want you to go to the dealership to get a software upgrade—even if that means you have to wait 6 months to get an upgrade you could go get at the dealership today.

It's likely easier today to "identify a software defect" (such as wireless CarPlay dropping out randomly) to convince a dealership to perform the upgrade as warranty work and charge BMW. Which is generally the direction I would go if I wanted the software upgrade earlier. I just think it's realistic at this point to go into the dealership with the expectation that you will need to identify some kind of defect before they will upgrade the software.
Appreciate 1
dpod25102.00