07-26-2019, 08:33 PM   #14
Delta5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i, 2018 X3 30i

Couple of comments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregeas View Post
* With the most recent iPhone (XS with latest OS) and Apple's standard music app, the car's interface has several issues: incorrect/mismatched album and song data are often displayed, and I also get a "Please wait..." message on the main media screen and on the HUD that never goes away (as if the playlist is loading but never completes). Moveover, I cannot scroll down for other songs on my phone, as these never load. [NOT FIXED AFTER SERVICE.]
Are you perhaps running iOS 13 Beta? I tried it the Public 3 beta last week on my XSMax and my M340i behaved like you describe above. Music navigation was essentially useless via iDrive. CarPlay worked fine. Also similar issues in my '18 X3. Back to iOS12 and it's fine.

Quote:
* The car will not fully turn off ("idle state" in the manual) unless I lock it. I store the car every night in our alarmed/locked garage, so I'm not in the habit of also locking the car. But if I don't lock the car, the electronics (not engine) will stay on for hours. In my other BWMs, pressing the ignition button twice switched off the car, but this definitely doesn't work in the M340. [FEATURE NOT A BUG ACCORDING TO BMW.]
My M340i has been fine, but our '18 X3 and a buddy's '19 X5 occasionally has problems shutting down. I've not experienced it staying on for literallly hours though. When BMW got rid of the double-tap, they created a janky system that tries to figure out occupancy on shutdown; "Comfort Parking" or some such nonsense. Note how it won't shut off until the last occupant has opened their door.

On our X3, we've learned to put it in Park, shut off ignition, then wait 2-3 seconds before opening the driver door. If you pull on driver's door latch while the engine is running or stopping, sometimes it gets confused and will stay in "accessory" mode for 15-20 minutes or until locked. My wife says, "yeah, car's singing to itself in the garage again..." Why BMW can't figure out how to shut down a car like literally every other manufacturer baffles me.

When asked about the X3, my SA told me to just make sure to lock the car. Thanks.

Quote:
* The place where I store the phone while driving -- in the center tray behind the cup holders -- constantly activates the phone's Apple Pay service. I assume this is the car's NFC system pinging the phone for its "digital key," and I know this feature isn't ready yet. But seeing the phone constantly wake up for Apple Pay is a problem. [NOT FIXED AFTER SERVICE.]
Ditto. Absurd bug. I keep my iPhone in a case. I've found it helps to put the BMW Digital Key Card in behind the phone. That allows me to "use my iPhone" for access & ignition, but has the side benefit as it seems to have significantly calmed down how often Apple Pay gets activated. Not sure why; maybe dials down the amount of 'pings' the car makes against the NFC. Without the Card, AP would trigger frequently and often stay lit for minutes at a time (my patience usually forced the issue with a lock). With the Card, I see AP trigger once or twice an hour and each time the phone goes back to sleep within 15-30 seconds. It's still dumb, but iPhone battery drain seems negligible so I just close the cover and ignore it. Note, I do NOT have wireless charging, just the NFC tray.

Good luck with the rest. Quite frustrating.

Last edited by Delta5; 07-26-2019 at 09:16 PM..
Appreciate 0