03-25-2020, 12:18 AM   #30
enigma01
Fight On!
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3; g30 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
And the E39 530 and 540 had a rack and pinion setup. The irony!
While the e39 530i had a R&P setup, the 540i had a recirculating ball setup. The 540i was much criticized for the steering choice (mainly due to space constants).

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite3 View Post
Prob compared it to the e39 M5 b/c of the size of the G20? Doesn't really compare well with the e46 and e90 anymore.

Regardless, ditto on the steering. In 10k miles i went from it's decent -> it's adequate -> it's okay -> meh.

Things could be worse- Is anyone on here old enough to remember when BMW majorly F*cked up the steering on some 2001 E46 models? After MASSIVE backlash they corrected it very quickly. I got stuck with one of these cars and had to trade it in for an '02 model. Wish they still listened to feedback.
I can see your logic... and feel the same way about the steering setup in all F- and G-code BMWs, including in my g30.

Interestingly, my very first BMW was a 2001 e46 325i, and I remember some early production cycles had a light/boosted feel, but they corrected by the time I took delivery of my car (2001 May build) in Munich before they finished construction of Welt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
It's not weight, it's feel. You can't fix that with software. GM and Porsche do it better. If they could do it through software, they would increase feel in Sport mode, but they don't because they can't.
You may very well be right here, but pretty much every car these days, including Porsche, has a steering-by-wire electronic setup. I think tuning the electronic feedback probably can improve the feel, which I assume can be done via SW. I think it's just that BMW is either not prioritizing it enough, or comfort is now the overriding characteristic over all else at BMW.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50