03-26-2020, 12:40 PM   #56
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
I recently drove a low mile E39 M5. It is not the sweetheart you make it out to be. In fact, it feels dated.

If the M340 isn't good enough (lol) for you to pull the trigger, I have to ask....
What car in the same price range would you consider better?
M2 Competition.

The M340 has a great chassis and a great interior, but if I'm going to be forced to give up a manual transmission, I at least want decent steering feel. With the M2 Comp at least I can get the 6mt.

I am very interested in the new M3/4, but if it looks anything like the concept, styling kills it.

I'll argue that the E39 doesn't feel dated if the suspension is in good shape. Even low mileage E39 M5s can feel dated because the bushings and stuff wear pretty quickly on them. They're basically completely shot at 80k miles max. Even at lower mileage, there is play in a lot of the components because of the age of the rubber. If you drive one that has had the shocks replaced along with all control arm/suspension parts and steering center link, it feels far from dated. Given the current BMW lineup, I'd rather spend a few thousand every 80k miles to refresh the suspension on the M5 than to buy anything new unless the new M3/M4 has a smaller grill than what we've been seeing.

From a tech perspective, yeah the E39 M5 nav system sucks, but there's a bluebus adapter shipping now that basically gives full bluetooth control with the steering wheel controls and stock mic and bluetooth audio with excellent quality and all controlled through the stock nav so nothing looks aftermarket. For $50 worth of parts and about an hour of work you can add wireless charging so the only features my E39 is missing that my G30has are the heads up display, traffic updates, and comfort access. Of those, I think I miss the Heads Up Display the most...really amazing feature.

I'm also not a huge fan of the sound of the M340 or the M2 comp, but that has been beaten to death and I won't go there.

Last edited by wknddrivr; 03-26-2020 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25076.00