09-08-2014, 06:55 PM   #23
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
I also get the impression that some many manufacturers are starting to favor the ZF-8 speed auto over DCTs. On paper it sounds horrible, but the newest ZF-8 speeds seem to be leaps and bounds better than in previous years--- almost as good as DCTs. Don't forget DCTs and SMGs were pretty bad when they first came out, so that's why judging something off of past performance isn't always the best idea
Yeah... no doubt the ZF-8 is a great tranny. I've only driven 2 cars with it and they were both impressive. Similar upshifts to the DCT but they were not as responsive on downshifts (which annoyed me). One issue many autos have is cooling at the track but I'm not sure if the ZF has this issue or not.

I think manufacturers like it on street based cars as it is smoother and likely cheaper. I still prefer a DCT because of the feel... it feels like a MT and behaves like a MT and you feel more of a mechanical connection. An auto mutes all of those things regardless of how fast it actually shifts. When Ferrari and Porsche put an auto in their track oriented cars then I'll think about it
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0