View Single Post
      11-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #14
Delta5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i, 2018 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antkn33 View Post
I had my first commute in snow this morning with my M340i xDrive and it was an absolute nightmare. I wish my sales guy would have told me the car came with Pilot Sport tires. Who the hell wants those in Michigan?
Indeed, caveat emptor.

Did you know it's not even recommended to put weight on them when temps are below 20F?
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Pilot+Sport+4S
"Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.
Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced."

I'd bet much of that is CYA warranty-speak from Michelin. But I don't take that advice lightly since tires are so critical for safety.

I was well-aware of the tires when I bought my M340i, and my SA pointed it out too and encouraged me to have a plan for winter. And this is in south-central Illinois where having dedicated winter tires is somewhat rare. I'm surprised a Michigan dealer wouldn't be all over that, especially since BMW has winter wheel/tire packages that they should be happy to sell you.

(FWIW, my PS4S's are in storage at the dealer. SottoZero3's are awesome.)

Last edited by Delta5; 11-11-2019 at 11:03 AM..
Appreciate 0