11-22-2021, 11:13 PM   #14
liuaar
Private
Rep
Drives: m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
Hello all! First time poster here:

I own a 2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S which is my de facto sports car that isn't my daily driver. I am also on Rennlist as 'Tupper' if anyone here visits that forum.

Last week I bought my 2021 BMW M340i (my first BMW!) to serve as my DD, but I want this car to sound more aggressive, but since I own the Porsche I don't NEED it to be too excessive.

So here is my question:

I want a louder and sportier exhaust, but since this is my DD and I DO have neighbors, I don't want to go too insane.

So would you guys recommend MPE, Dinan, or AWE? I've heard that the AWE is VERY loud, and that might be a problem?

But is MPE loud enough? I definitely can have a louder exhaust, I just don't want to piss off the whole neighborhood.

As an aside, I've been weighing an Akrapovic exhaust for the Porsche but because the cold start for that exhaust is SOOOOOOO SUPER LOUD I've refrained from buying it.

Thanks and l look forward to talking about cars with you all
I heard the MPE today from a good friend of mine. It was the exhaust I was going to get if my car dealer had given me a discount or just given it to me when I got the car.

I have the AWE track exhaust. Had it for over a month and today I fit in an AA catted high flow downpipe which really made the car about 10-20% louder and really made the tone incredible! It sounds so mean and aggressive.

Many many things I did not like about the MPE.

1) Not nearly loud enough. Louder than stock forsure, but definitely not loud enough for my taste. Not going to turn heads or sound as aggressive as mean as you want. I listen to my music at 85-100% max volume and this I would compare it to 40-50% max volume.

2) Sounded thin and very high pitched. Did not have the mean, aggressive, sound that both me and you are looking for.

3) Not full bodied exhaust, missing the bass and the exhaust kinda seemed like a little whining baby next to my AWE

4) Very minimal burbles (Compared to the AWE)

5) Boring look

(I am also an audiophile btw which means I'm extremely picky and fickle with what my car sounds like. It's in fact the most important thing to me couldn't care about pushing power or speed)

Things I love about the AWE

1) Loud, but definitely not obnoxiously loud like some dodges. It's a VERY VERY good level of loud. It's not so loud to the point where other people are looking at you and cringing. It sounds AMAZINGLY loud
(I've had old ladies in there 50s ask me at red lights why their BMW doesn't sound like this. Gotten a lot of compliments saying it "sounded beautifully")

2) Full bodied sound, crisp and aggressive sounding high notes, deep rumbling low notes. Bassy when you want it

3) An insane amount of burbles (on sport+) and an occasional pop here and there (I have the 2022 m340i)

4) LOOKS SEXY AS FUCK

Things I did not like about the AWE

1) I have the track version so there's no way to turn it off, granted I love love hearing a nice sounding engine and it's extremely rare for me to not like the sound of my car, but yeah it has happened less than the amt of fingers I've had. This is a very very small problem and in no way would I swap the exhaust for the touring version but there is that version if you want (if you wanted your exhaust quiet)

2) It's honestly not loud enough for my taste. I usually listen to my music on my headphones at 85-100% max volume. I would say the AWE exhaust sounds like 70-82% max volume. xDDDDD

3) Loud cold start (good& bad depending on how much you care about your neighbors and what hours you drive it), but it's short and doesn't last long. Personally the cold start is one of my favorite things about this car, but I understand why this can be a negative!

tl;dr

MPE = thin, not loud, whiny

AWE = loud, but no obnoxiously loud (could be a tad bit louder) great tone, amazing sound *chefs kiss*

Hope this helps a little bit!

OP (also will PM you my car instagram if you want to hear it!)
Appreciate 2