View Single Post
      10-14-2021, 11:12 AM   #43
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
because you can't replace buttons and eventually you have a familiarization with said buttons so you don't have to take your eyes off the road for more than a second. with a screen you have to look at what you are pressing and continue looking until the function is pressed. there's a reason why airplanes aren't just all touchscreens and still have buttons. your logic makes no sense at all.
I own a car operated solely with a touchscreen. I've driven it personally over 70,000 miles.

I also own a car with some of the most heavily button laden interiors ever produced (and once previously owned one with even more buttons, the Acura MDX). The Acura and my current Cayenne I've personally driven each of those in excess of 75,000 miles. There is a balance between the two. I will tell you that although your statement is, on the surface, logical (i.e. you need to take eyes off the road to operate a screen), both the placement of said screen and the amount of times you actually need to look at the screen represent no more significant eyes down time as an interior filled with many small buttons. Which ALSO require eyes off the road as they cannot simply be used by muscle memory. Because if you think that this is easy to memorize and operate at speed, I'm telling you, you're wrong.

So go ahead and believe what you want. I've got the seat time behind both and mine isn't an opinion, it's an actual experience.

Agree Tesla's yoke is a joke but that's a whataboutism argument and has no bearing on touchscreens being useful.
Appreciate 0