03-05-2020, 07:38 AM   #3
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush1326 View Post
Generally speaking a Lexus is considered to be more reliable than a BMW Or at least less costly to maintain
Now let?s say both cars are mechanically sound and don?t have major issues like transmission or engine

What I am wondering is long-term will a Lexus infotainment screen or gauge cluster be any more reliable than one from BMW.
I think the way cars are becoming so advanced that there is so much more to reliability then just engine and transmission which is what most people think of.
I would love to know everyone?s thoughts on this.
The thing about Lexus / Toyota, and the one reason they will probably have the edge on reliability is that they are VERY cautious when it comes to innovation. They like to stick with "tried and true" technology that upholds their reputation for things just working. This is great for reliability but comes at the cost of the tech in their cars getting outdated quickly. Outdated tech is not a problem for the market segment of older buyers Lexus was traditionally known for, but it makes it harder for them to compete for younger buyers.

BMW likes to innovate and add the latest shiny gadgets. Adds to fun factor but adds more things to work the bugs out, and right around the time all the bugs are worked out they've switched to a new method of doing things.

In my opinion all of this goes deep into the heart of cultural differences in German vs Japanese engineering and manufacturing philosophies.
Appreciate 0