themush1326
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by themush1326 View Post
I ended up buying out my lease since it only had 10 K miles at the end and BMW FS gave a 4K discount off residual
So I guess I’ll find out how reliable it is over the next few years

I also think the amount of money you spent versus what your lease/purchase payment would be should factor in
If you spend let’s say $2500 a year on maintenance and repairs you’re not gonna be able to buy anything or buy anything for $200 a month

Themush
I've always been fascinated by this perception. Where people justify purchasing a new car because their old car is costing them "thousands in repairs". But if you compare that to the cost of a new car, it's almost always cheaper to just continue to repair the old car (with some exceptions obviously).

I think that stems from the fact that most people are terrible with money, and they don't set aside money for "emergencies" like the car needing a new $2,000 transmission. It's easier for them to stomach a fixed monthly $500 cost than an unexpected one time $2,000 cost.
Very well said
It all boils down to personal situation, The one good thing about everyone being scared of BMW repairs is there were plenty of fantastic used ones if that’s what you want
Appreciate 0