Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
BMW Will Offer An M Performance Version Of The i4 And This Is What It’ll Sound Like

BMW Will Offer An M Performance Version Of The i4 And This Is What It’ll Sound Like

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/05/bm...ll-sound-like/

Quote:
After the iX SUV, BMW will expand its EV lineup with the i4 electric sports sedan.

When the i4 was introduced in March, BMW stated there it will get an M variant. Unfortunately, they didn’t say much about it.

That’s starting to change as the automaker has now revealed what the M version will sound like. This is somewhat interesting as it’s the first all-electric M model and there was always the question of what an M Division-developed EV would sound like. Would the company just keep it silent or would they attempt to recreate the roaring exhaust of the M5?

The answer is neither as electric M models will have a unique sound that was created with the assistance of Academy Award-winning composer Hans Zimmer. The sound is teased near the end of the video and it’s an interesting noise that ‘builds’ in volume to suggest higher levels of power and acceleration. It also seems to incorporate its own version of a gear change.

While the noise probably won’t please the purists, BMW noted that while “the hush of electric driving offers an unprecedented level of comfort”, it also causes the driving experience to lose a degree of emotion. As a result, they’ve created a unique sound for electrified M models that is “charged with extra energy.”

BMW revealed that the sound will change depending on the selected drive mode and noted “acceleration sparks a rich intensification of the soundtrack’s development, authentically reflecting the car’s performance character.”

“Every BMW has its own character, which is reflected in the sound it makes,” said Zimmer. “So for the electrically driven BMW M models, we have developed a driving sound which accentuates their emotional driving experience particularly vividly and ensures their performance can be felt with even greater intensity.”

BMW didn’t say much about the car itself, but it’s presumably the 523 hp (390 kW / 530 PS) variant that can accelerate from 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) in around four seconds.