View Single Post
      10-17-2020, 01:38 AM   #56
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
The rest of the vehicle is spartan because that's the whole point. Tesla doesn't use Swarovski crystals on various buttons not because they're cheap but because there are no buttons of any kind.

And at the same time, every single piece of functionality associated with luxury cars is present. No matter the season, the car is at your preset temperature when you get in. The seat and the steering wheel are at your personal position even if your wife drove it last. The entertainment system has all the right sources, which are _not_ FM or SiriusXM (1999 called, says hi), and the audio system is on par or better than BMW HK setup. All driver assist stuff is there and works as expected once you forget the hype and take it for what it actually is. Etc etc etc.

Now, you might say what about materials and build quality? And my response is: BMW has become shit in those two things. A BMW might have smaller panels gaps but it will never last as long as an average Model 3 without some major cash outlays for stupid little things breaking down all the time. And BMW will never be able to make up the difference as long as their solution is a platform built to work for both ICE and BEV setups like G26 is. It is simply too complex.
Spartan wasn't the point. It was the necessary compromise to develop a program within total variable cost targets. Not necessary to go all the way to crystals to just have decent quality materials inside, but they are working on a tight budget and pressure to get to Elon's originally promised and never delivered entry price point. Not sure why BMW comes into your defense of poor quality in Tesla. "Whataboutism" never substantiates an original position. Tesla quality is objectively low all on its' own, regardless of what any other OEM does...so how is BMW or anyone else relevant as a defense of how many times Tesla has failed across all of its' models?

As to the BMW platform strategy, it's the opposite of complex. It allows developing different products from the simplicity and efficiency of a common platform. The complexity would result from trying to cross-load fundamentally different platforms in a shared plant during the time in history when they don't project a full plant's worth of just EV powertrain orders yet. Of course Tesla has a "dedicated" EV platform....they have nothing else to sell!!! If and when EV becomes dominant, more dedicated platforms will be developed, but there is nothing about this strategy that inherently causes this "difference" you hypothesize.

And, what is this "difference" are you trying to measure? Build quality? Conditions per vehicle? Large sample data already shows Tesla is bottom of the industry, so the gap is theirs to close.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner

Last edited by Sportstick; 10-17-2020 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7834.00