Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by siegester View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
Just a thought.

If the NHTSA approved Toyota's request for Automatic Dimming Beams as per an earlier post, why doesn't BMW NA either recall our cars and do the decoding or do so via one of the OTA software updates, allegedly targeted by VIN, which has the SALAPA, options list.

Oh well, think I'll get on this shortly
BMW is a company designed to make money and this would cost them money. They can just advertise it as a new feature for MY22 or whatever and people unfamiliar with coding would be further tempted to upgrade to a newer car, thus making them more money. Or if they lock us out of coding, we'd have no choice but to upgrade to get the feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOnBlue View Post
A little late to this party, but am I reading right (I read the whole thread)

That doing this change now will lock-out a module and cause problems?

Specifically the KAFAS4 portion

Or is that only for the G16 , not G20 series?

I'm interested in trying this coding along with the others I've done so far, but don't want to pooch my car!
I haven't heard of anyone being locked out on the G20 yet
Unfortunately this is very likely the case based on prior experience with them. A long time ago they would perform retrofits at the dealership. This kind of closed the gap a bit between new car purchases, but it slowly dwindled away to nothing. They probably had more headaches with additional warranty or training etc.

Now they simply don't "upgrade" the car with configuration defaults to give us all the same features even though the hardware is the same.

I can understand if the hardware was different, we've grown accustomed to companies like Apple who upgrade their hardware and thus eventually it goes into obsolescence. This is due to them wanting to demonstrate similar experiential quality standards for the OS, Apps and such between the newer devices and legacy hardware.

As a side note, I got my car back from the dealership, they were supposed to fix the seat heater that was no longer coming on during remote start by updating it to the latest 11/2020.45 software. It turns out that didn't fix it and regressed the "automatic habits" to no longer have the "heat steering wheel" option when below a certain temperature...this was added, without coding, in the OTA 07/2020.85 update *smh*
Appreciate 0