United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4BR13L View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by praxis218 View Post
How was the steering feedback?
I forgot to mention that car had the "Variable Sport Steering", I believe that this is included in the M Sport Pack. I could choose between "Comfort" and "Sport" mode, there was no "Sport+". The steering feedback felt more weir in "Comfort" mode and it was okay in "Sport" mode. The steering is a serious improvement compared to a F36 (4 series Gran Coupe) that I drove a couple of months ago (was a replacement car for a day) and I did notice that the car's chassis was stiffer.

In the G20 330i, even in "Sport" mode, the steering still feels very light and artificial. Just like with the F36 at times it feels as if the car is floating over the street. But I do think that a lot of customers will actually like the way the steering feels, at least my wife liked the light steering feel, she said that it felt 'calming' and 'smoothing'. This is the kind of feel I would expect in a 7 series that I would buy for the luxury and comfort but not in the sportier 3-serieus.

And again I might be seriously biased as I drive my F82 on daily basis (30.000 KM/year) and constantly in "Sport+" mode even for the steering so I don't think that I am in the correct position to give useful feedback about comparing the new 3-series with the outgoing model.

In combination with the Lane Departure warning, that vibrates the steering wheel and even jerks the steering wheel when driving over a white lane marker, it was weirder. I was driving along small lanes with a lot of crossing traffic so the steering wheel was constantly vibrating and I had to turn this off (after going to numerous menus and submenus). I felt like I was playing Forza Motorsport with a force feedback steering wheel.

The car I tested did not have the electronically controlled rear differential (in Belgium this is not included in the M Sport Pack) so I am unable to comment on this.

The 330i is a nice car and I am sure that the steering feel is major improvement compared to the outgoing model but the car just did not feel 'sporty' to me on any level.

The electronic power steering in the 3-series will imho never be as good as the hydraulic power steering or it will take a few generations. But the same can be said about the I4-engines. About the electronic power steering I just want to add that the engineers did a pretty damn good job in the F8x where the steering feel is superb on all modes (Comfort, Sport and Sport+).

I am now going to wait for test-driving the M340i because I want to test the G20 with the B58 3.0L inline-six engine but in all honestly my wife is going to happy with the 320i. The 330e is also an option and because of the low co2 and how Belgian taxes work the cost of owning a 330e is considerably lower than owning a 320i.
Have you driven the M2C. If yes, what do you think about the steering feel?
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0