View Single Post
      03-01-2024, 04:01 PM   #52
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
I feel like I've traveled back to 2004 when all of this horsepower peacocking pissing contest crap was going on. Those days are over. All these 3's and 4's are blisteringly fast and tight round the corners, that's what 20 years of advancement and refinement gets you. Is the 40i fractionally quicker than the 30i on a test track? Sure. But in the real world does it matter? No, not at all.

Cool trunk badge though. I'll give you that.
Careful. The x40i cars are significantly faster, even in normal driving. I drove my Dad’s 430i, and it was a fantastically smooth and easy car to drive. I found the pedal response to be about the same off the line. That can be attributed to the fact that both the 430i and M440i use the exact same transmission.

But, even a slight stab at the throttle allows the B58 to show you what 2 extra cylinders and an extra 130ish horsepower can do. And even then, the numbers lie. The magic of the B58 is the wave of effortless torque you get. That’s what makes the experience elevated compared to the B48 in the 430i. You get both power of the B58, and the luxuriously smooth, torquey power delivery of that turbo straight 6. I’m not saying the B48 is a bad motor, but to say that the B58 is only fractionally quicker than the B48 is really underselling the B58. It’s a 50% performance bump, and the torque comes on much more quickly. It’s a totally different experience.
Appreciate 2
NGT25749.50