Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by matbl View Post
Tesla is certainly not a luxury brand. But neither is BMW.
Upper part of mass market together with Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, sure. But not luxury.
Luxury brands would be Rolls, Bugatti, Bentley, Aston Martin, Maserati, etc...
This discussion is rather pointless, as there is no "bright line" to distinguish luxury brands. It varies by market and individual perception. MB's E Class cars are impressive in the U.S.; in Germany, they are taxi cabs. The brands you mention have, on occasion, been described as "Ultra Luxury", so what is really the point of this debate?
I believe I used the "US market" qualifier.

This circle jerk came about because I commented that nobody should expect a BMW of a particular class/size to be the same price as a Tesla in that size/class. I don't see Tesla as having the same stature of luxury as BMW. I personally think of a Tesla being more akin to a Volkswagen, or perhaps a Volvo. If BMW is smart they'd make sure this differentiation was crystal clear by using high-grade materials, and maintain their superior fit, finish, and reliability. BMW should stop with the woke vegan interior materials crap. Stop lowering yourself to Tesla's level, and put interior materials (thinking Marino leather) that luxury buyers expect. Make a BMW that happens to be an EV, instead of making a BMW version of a Tesla. This is the contrast BMW needs to show.