Drives: F80 M3

BMW Will Offer Full-Electric 5 Series and X1

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Will Offer Full-Electric 5 Series and X1
COMMENTS

Via Autonews

BMW to offer full-electric 5 Series, X1 in emissions push

July 27, 2020

FRANKFURT — BMW said it will offer full-electric variants of its 5 Series and X1 models as part of sweeping product overhaul unveiled on Monday as the automaker seeks to lower vehicle emissions on the road and during production.

"In 10 years, the goal is to have a total of more than seven million electrified BMW Group vehicles on the roads — around two thirds of them with a fully-electric drive train," the company said on Monday.

Automakers have been pushing EVs ever since European lawmakers in December 2018 ordered a cut in carbon dioxide emissions from cars by 37.5 percent by 2030 compared with 2021 levels. This will come after a 40 percent emissions cut between 2007 and 2021.

Starting next year, BMW Group said it will offer five full-electric cars: the BMW i3, the Mini Cooper SE, the BMW iX3, the BMW iNext and the BMW i4. The iX3 will launch the company's EV offensive.

In total, BMW will have 25 electrified models on the roads by 2023 -- around half of them full electric.

BMW CEO Oliver Zipse declined to give a launch date for the the 5-Series or X1 EVs. Both models will be available in the future with four drivetrain variants including full-electric, plug-in hybrid, diesel and gasoline with 48-volt technology.

The automaker also said its management compensation will be more closely aligned with compliance to climate targets and that carbon emissions from production and sites would be lowered by 80 percent per vehicle.

BMW Press Release:

Product strategy: fully-electric models in high-volume series

The BMW Group is already a leading provider of electrified vehicles: By the end of 2021, the BMW Group will offer five fully-electric production vehicles: the BMW i3*, the MINI Cooper SE*, the BMW iX3*, the BMW iNEXT and the BMW i4. Another milestone will be the upcoming generation of the BMW 7 Series. The BMW brand flagship will be available with four different drive technologies: with a highly efficient diesel or petrol engine with 48-volt technology, as an electrified plug-in hybrid and, for the first time, as a fully-electric BEV model. The company will have 25 electrified models on the roads by 2023 – half of them fully electric.

In addition to the BMW 7 Series, comprehensive electrification will be rolled out throughout the model line-up: Further examples of the “Power of Choice” will be the high-volume BMW X1 and BMW 5 Series, which will also be available in the future with all four drive train variants – fully-electric, plug-in hybrid, diesel and petrol with 48-volt technology.

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 4
BMWGirlFL6262.00
clee1982797.50